Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Not really portable

Challenge: Make something portable (or that seems portable) that normally isn't.

I have to say, I really struggled with this challenge.  Almost everything I thought of to make portable already exists in some portable form.  It reminds me of when I travel, and there are all those travel-sized containers and other gear to help you pack light.  I really enjoy looking at all that tiny stuff, and get so impressed by the new things designers cook up.

So instead of working with the challenge and brainstorming more, I decided to take some pictures of a few old drawings I found while cleaning my apartment the other day.

I sketched this out when I was thinking of designs for a sculpture in my Metals Fabrication class in the summer of 2005:


I think I was more than a little inspired by Metroid graphics in this design.  Fun fact: I found a bunch of old mix cds while cleaning too, many from 2005.  I guess it was a good year?  In hindsight, it really was.  Here's a skelley:


I used to draw skeletons all the time and still really enjoy drawing them and finding quality skeleton imagery in art and design.  I also drew this guy in 2005, and man, I'm totally glad I put the dates on stuff as often as I do/did or I'd totally forget when I made things.  Here's something else:


A bunch of stylized balloons?  Who knows.  I really like it though, but sadly, I left this one undated.  And lastly:


I call this dude "Funky Shuffle Dancer" and I think I drew him sometime in the early-mid 2000s as well, judging from the way I had my name written on the piece of paper (cropped out).  I went through an intense few years where signing my name in a "cool" way was really important, oh me.  But I love how free this guy is in the picture!

I feel like I kind of gave up on today's challenge.  I guess these old drawings are portable although I don't usually think of them having that function, but I've been carrying them from place to place for several years now, so they work for today's challenge in a technical way.

No comments:

Post a Comment