Saturday, May 14, 2011

A new day

Day 12 Challenge: Camouflage.  Create or alter something so that it disappears into its background.

I got the mail on my way home from work tonight and saw that my bank sent me a new debit card since my old one was about to expire.  Cool.  I get a lot of satisfaction from cutting up old credit/debit cards, so I then began to cut up my old card into tiny pieces.  It dawned on me that maybe I could use the tiny pieces in my project for today.  I looked around my apartment - ah!  Lola's food bowl is almost the same shade of blue as my old card.  So, that will totally camouflage, right?


Well, no, not really.  I could've flipped over all the little pieces so they were blue-side up, but then I thought, hey, the sound of pouring those little pieces of plastic into the food bowl sounded almost exactly like the way it sounds to pour cat food into the bowl.  That's, like, auditory camouflage (stay with me here).  To test this half-baked theory, I put the food bowl on the floor to see what the kitties would do.  This project turned into a regular animal behavior experiment.


Lola's response was complete disinterest.  Interesting for me, however.  Her complete love of food cannot be tarnished by some blue plastic and pokey-edged competitor!  But honestly, a part of me thought she'd be really into it since almost anything in her food bowl means she's gonna try to ingest it.

Stimpy, on the other hand, we super interested.  Maybe it was just pretty to her, who knows, but I pulled the bowl away before she had a chance to pull a fast one and end up hurting herself. 


So there you have it.  I could probably make up some artsy fartsy b.s. about how this piece is all about society and convenience and companionship and blah blah blah, but I'm really not that complicated about my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment