Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 4

Challenge:  Take a five-minute walk, then make something using whatever materials are available where you've ended up.  Leave it there for someone else to discover, but be sure to document it first.

I love this idea, totally and completely.  However, today isn't really a day where a 5 minute walk will easily fit into my life.  Noah Scalin is a pretty cool guy who seems to understand these types of challenges:

"If you feel inspired to do something completely different, go for it!  A daily project is all about the rules you make for yourself, and there is no punishment for breaking those rules."

So while I'd like to take a walk outside and gather natural materials and leave a cool sculpture out there for someone to find, like the completely inspiring Andy Goldsworthy, I took a different approach.

I subscribe to a blog called 100 Scope Notes, and saw on there that the creator of the blog and his students create short poems using the spine labels of books.  I'm a librarian myself and thought that this idea was funny and creative and even showed some friends a few of the funnier compilations on the blog, but I never made any myself.  That's a big problem of mine!  I think that other people's ideas are pretty cool, but I can cop this "it's been done before" attitude sometimes that prevents me from trying things that are new for ME.

So I made a few spine stories/poems:

(not really sure how to comfort witches...)

(I did have "Hush Little Baby" at the end of this one originally, but decided against it)

And my favorite:



Here are some of the more recent spine poem creations from 100 Scope Notes.  This is probably my favorite of all time, although I find this one to be pretty great as well.

I didn't leave my creations out for anyone to discover, because it's just not a nice thing to do to our employees who spend a lot of time cleaning up other people's messes, but I did show another librarian my project and she seemed to get a kick out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment