Thursday, May 19, 2011

Stampy

Challenge, Day 16: Make a unique print by cutting up a potato or sponge, and use it to stamp on a material of your choice.

All outta potatoes, on to the sponge!  I don't know about you, readers, but I'm not made of money.  I decided to cut a small chunk of sponge off a bigger piece so I could still use the bigger part for cleaning.  As a result, I only had a small piece of sponge to work with.  I know that I don't work well as a subtractive artist, so I decided to just create a piece using my small chunk of sponge as it was cut instead of trying to cut it down into a smaller and more interesting shape, or variety of shapes.  I loosely mixed some red, purple, and green paint together in a tray, dipped my sponge in, and lightly covered a piece of paper with back-to-back stampings, not random stamp marks like I did before in my apple painting.  Here is the result:


I love pattern and texture, especially when there's something a little "wrong" with it - the print doesn't line up, the saturation varies, etc.  That organic, imperfect quality is attractive to me.  However, I think it's important that craftsmanship is considered.  I can't stand seeing horribly cut mattes on framed pictures!

Here's a close-up of part of the picture I made:


Feeling much more energized today, and loving these longer days with more sunlight exposure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment