Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day #2

Challenge:  What's your favorite animal?  Use it as your inspiration today.

Ok, so, this challenge is a little bit of a departure from my overall theme.  I can't honestly say what my favorite animal is, but I own a pretty adorable cat, so I decided to use her as my inspiration.  Meet Lola:


Lola recently turned 9 years old.  Just look at that tough old broad.

So I think that photo silhouettes are kind of hilarious and my parents never had those made for us when we were growing up, so I figured that I should probably do it for my "kid".  Basically, I printed a copy of this picture of Lola onto regular computer paper, cut it out with fine scissors, traced the outside onto another white piece of paper, and colored inside the line - though I didn't have a good black marker handy, so I had to rely on colored pencil and pen.  This is the result:


Not bad!  A little smudgey though.  I played around with my minimal photo editing software to create a couple different takes on the finished product.  This is just a basic inversion and a little playing around with brightness and contrast:


I'm thinking, Kitty in Space!  Then there's this one:


And all that one needs is a bunch of hearts or a unicorn somewhere to make it truly magical.

Again, I came up with my idea for this project and executed it fairly quickly.  Ideas come so much more naturally to me when I have somewhere to start.  I think that the overall effect is nice, but the photo silhouette effect might have turned out better if I was working only with profile detail from the chest up.

No comments:

Post a Comment