Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 6

Challenge:  Look in the kitchen and work with the first fruit or vegetable that you spot.  It could be in the form of juice, jam, or even canned.

I usually have apples around and keep them on the counter, and today was no different.  My first thought was to cut an apple down the middle and use it as a stamp.  The seed formation from cutting in the middle instead of from the top to bottom makes a star shape that can be used as a stamp.  I cut off some excess apple to make a littler stamp in a pentagon shape, which helped save more of the apple for eating.  Technically, it's possible to make multiple stamps from one apple, but I only made one apple stamp.  I used purple, brown, and antique gold acrylic paint and stamped onto an standard 18"x24" board canvas.  Here is the result:


I think that the trick with stamp painting is to quit while you're ahead.  It's easy to over-stamp and really muddy up the colors.  I remembered this from a few years ago, when my sister (other sister, not roommate sister) and I made a stamp painting using the bottom part of a group a celery stalks, and some bell peppers.  I don't have any pictures of that one to share, but my sister still has it, displayed at her house.

Here are a couple detail shots, which I think are pretty beautiful - I actually like them more than the painting as a whole:



I have nearly completed a week's worth of challenges!  So far, I feel pretty good.  I know that there are some days when my energy level doesn't match up to a cool idea that I might have, but the point is that I'm doing something creative everyday and getting good ideas along the way, so I feel great about that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment