Monday, May 9, 2011

Starting Week 2

Day 8 Challenge: Transform an old book into something new by cutting, folding, gluing, and so on.

I really enjoy book art, and I have grand plans for some book art pieces someday.  Today at work, I looked through damaged items and found a comic book that was irreparable to put back into circulation at the library.  I took pieces of the comic book - Porky Pig's face - and made my own pieces with a little bit of measuring with a ruler and painting squares in shades of gray.  I don't know where the inspiration for this came from, but here is the result:


All those little pig expressions!  In this comic, I think Porky was in space with Daffy Duck (hence the little purple hat), on some kind of mission.  I stayed away from reading the text just to focus on the visual material.  I played around with color saturation, brightness, and contrast to create a more sketch-y, old-fashioned look:


I think that the intent of this challenge was to use a book as sole media, cutting and gluing pages, and I definitely love that idea, but I like that I've been making pieces that are totally different than what I might normally make or what is usually in the realm of my style.  Even though these pieces aren't fine art, I feel pretty good that I am exercising my brain to think creatively, revisit old skills, and try my hand at new ones...and also cut out little pig heads.  

No comments:

Post a Comment