Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 10

Yeah, I'm in the double digits!

Challenge:  Use only water as your medium/inspiration today.

I enjoy water a lot.  I'm not a strong swimmer, but I love being in/near water, the sound of it moving, the beauty and power of it, the way the sun makes it shimmer, the creatures that live in it, and so on.  So my thought was to practice some photography skills in outdoor bodies of water or maybe do something with the reflections in a drop or small puddle of water.

Then, something else happened, and a new idea was born:


My sister/roommate is a 3rd shifter and gets home from work around 8 a.m.  I slept like hell last night and texted her to get me a yummy iced coffee drink on her way home.  After I drank it, I dumped the ice into the garbage disposal and realized that it kind of made a cool shape as it sat on the little rubbery parts above the drain.  After snapping a couple pics, I dug the ice out, put it on a plate, and took a few more pictures:


The initial formation.  I think it kind of looks like Australia.  I played around with a close-up, which looks like a cool beginning to some textured wallpaper or linoleum tile:


And also an ultra close-up, out of focus but still cool-looking enough that I played with the brightness, contrast, and color saturation to make an abstract image that could kind of be anything:


Not your average picture of a lake, eh?  Let this be a lesson: sometimes, inspiration comes in the form of the stuff you really just wanted to put in the garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment