Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 5

Challenge:  What do you collect?  Work with a collection of objects you have in your home (or borrow a friend's if you like).

For this challenge, I had to think for a moment: do I have any collections?  I collected key chains as a kid, but those days are long gone.  Whenever I travel, I like to buy a piece of unique jewelry as a souvenir, but I've never been terribly inspired to make work related to fashion or glamour, it's just not my thing.  So I started looking around the apartment, looking through things and discovering that I do have a collection, but I just didn't know it:

SCRAPS.

I have little pieces of paper, snippets of inspiration, a box of buttons, bags of pieces of embroidery floss, leftover batting, funny cut-out bits of felt, scant feet of yarn skeins wound into small balls, dollops of paint left in the bottoms of paint containers, and so on.  For this challenge, I decided to get out some of the scrap felt pieces, embroidery floss. and batting to make a stuffed patchwork heart.  I've made stuffed snowmen ornaments and small felt bird toys as gifts or for craft fairs before, so the concept was familiar to me.

First, I dragged some cardboard out of my recycling bin and cut out a heart template.  Still, I didn't follow the template exactly.  That adds character, right?  I actually love a little imperfection in most things:


My plan was to create another patchy heart for the back, but I decided on a solid color backing instead.  After attaching the back and stuffing the heart with batting, it became an adorable tiny pillow and/or toy:


I'm not sure, but I think that Lola approves:


Now, what to do with this crafty creation?  Mother's day gift that rivals something I probably made for my mom about 15 years ago?  Stuff a little catnip in there and let the kitties have at it?  Give to a nephew of mine who would probably either throw it, squeeze it until the seams break, or try to eat it?  Tell boyfriend that I made it just for him???  Oh, the choices.

In any case, my sister/roommate does have one collection - shot glasses.  Here's one that I bought for her from a trip last month to Arizona:


I considered using her collection for this challenge, but the scraps idea took a hold of me before any creative shot glass idea came to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment