Friday, May 27, 2011

Fortunate recycling

Challenge: Waste not.  Dig in a recycling bin for all of today's materials.

I checked the recycling bin at work and found a lot of paper products.  I decided to make something out of an old event calendar.  The first idea I had was to make a cootie catcher, so I made one!  For privacy and to add some limits to the amount of visual information, I blacked out a lot of the words with a black marker, Austin Kleon style, and came up with this not-too-pretty-but-still-interesting work:

(that's right, I'm wearing my "I Read Banned  Books" bracelet)



 

The 4 categories to start from: Library, Favorite Books, Policies, and Thursday.  After that, you can choose from Library (again), Discover, Monday, or just a picture showing a book on one side and a person reading a book on the other.  From there, the participant chooses his/her final fortune: Music Celebration, Learn to Play Chess, Rainbows in the Garden, or Save the Date for the Summer Reading Program.  All great fortunes!

It’s a wild and crazy adventure with this cootie catcher!  I made one a few years ago for a school project about Francesca Lia Block.  The imagery in her books is so great!  Read this excerpt from Weetzie Bat, the first book in the Dangerous Angels series, and try to tell me it’s not beautiful.  I’m gonna try to remember to scope out some old folders around my apartment this weekend and see if I can find that old cootie catcher and post a few pics.

Happy weekending!

No comments:

Post a Comment