Monday, June 13, 2011

Week off

I didn't have a chance to complete any challenges this weekend, and it looks like this week is going to be pretty busy too.  I've decided to let myself have a week off from the 365 project, unless I find a bit of unexpected time.  I don't want to feel obligated to stick to completing all of the challenges on time and end up doing them halfway and not feeling good about it.

I am still going to try to post everyday, different inspiring things or works I've done in the past.  Today, I wanted to post a few pictures from my time studying abroad in Italy in 2006.  I was there for one month total, staying in Florence most of the time with side trips to Rome, Siena, Bologna, Venice, Fiesole, and Viareggio.  It was a really great experience for me and think that people, especially young people, can learn a lot about life from going to foreign countries that are drastically different from their homeland.  I would love to go back and do a little more traveling throughout Europe.

Here are a few pictures from my experience:


Piazza San Marco, where all of us students would meet up with our teacher almost every day to walk to various locations to draw for a few hours.


San Miniato al Monte, one of the locations we visited to draw.  I remember this being on the outskirts of Florence, taking a long time to walk there and get up all those stairs, but I really enjoyed my time visiting this place.


The kitchen of the apartment I shared with several other students in Florence.  I think there were 8 of us altogether in our apartment.  We drank a lot of wine (it's so cheap there too!), ate a lot of food with yummy olive oil, read books, talked about art, and had a great time.

I remember returning from Italy and experiencing a lot of weird feelings.  I almost didn't want to talk to anyone about my experience except people who had been there before, because I couldn't do justice to all the great things I saw and felt.  I think it's really important to travel while you're young, even if you're in debt.  That's doesn't sound like a very responsible thing to say, but I don't want to wait until I'm old to live my life.  My parents were incredibly generous and took out a loan for themselves in order for me to go on this trip.  I still owe them a bit of money, but it was so worth it.

Grazie!

No comments:

Post a Comment