Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Path

Day #31 Challenge:  Make a path for people to follow and invite people to try it out.

No.  No, thanks.  This challenge really doesn't interest me.  I am a little antisocial when it comes to being creative, despite creating an large interactive piece for my BFA thesis a few years ago.  I am not comfortable with this challenge as it's spelled out, but I was thinking of something I could do instead that relates to the basic idea of it.  My mind directed me to map-making, so I made a map.

First, I thought of everything I'd love to see on a map, if time period and geographic location were not considered.  I made a list of things I wanted to see, drew a rough sketch, then started my map.  To begin, I crumpled a piece of sketchbook paper then un-crumpled it for a rough effect.  I lightly stained it with some tea, dried it with a hair dryer, then started drawing:


This map has no supposed treasure, but does have a nifty tire swing!  It also features a Farm House, chicken yard, crops, Fairy Flower Garden, an apothecary's hut, Shipman's Cemetary, Spooky Woods, sheep pasture, mud pit, North Castle, Lake Louise, and Lake George, which was supposed to be River George but I messed up and didn't know how to undo the writing without things turning out icky.

I had a pretty good time drawing out this map!  I remember being fascinated by the maps included in books growing up, namely in the Chronicles of Narnia and Winnie the Pooh books.

Here are a couple detailed views of my map:



2 comments:

  1. This map should be part of a series of children's books too. Maybe a level on Zelda? I don't know exactly, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, thanks Annie! I liked throwing caution to the wind and putting in whatever I wanted. Note that there is no buried treasure, because I don't want this map getting into the wrong hands. :-)

    ReplyDelete